Monday, May 6, 2013

5 Random Thoughts, Volume II

My wife and I just returned from a quick getaway to Nashville, TN.  A lot of people asked why we chose Nashville as a destination, and that answer is simple--nice weather, nice people, awesome food!  We had been there a couple times before, but this trip made me appreciate some things...



1.)  I will NEVER complain about Wisconsin road construction again.  We all know what it's like around here...orange barrels everywhere, especially in recent years with the Hwy 41 project on-going.  On our way to Tennessee, we hit more road construction areas than I can count on 2 hands.  And there was a massive traffic back-up at EVERY single one!  It made me realize that our DOT engineers must do one heck of a job figuring out ways to prevent that from happening up here.  As crazy as our construction can get, I cannot remember many times that I've been in a stand-still on Hwy 41, except for when there were car accidents. 

2.)  I was impressed (again!) by all the awesome hospitality shown to us in and around Nashville.  There is something to that "Southern Hospitality" stuff.  Waitresses, hotel workers, parking attendants--no matter who we dealt with, they were crazy polite!  I wish some waitresses/bartenders, store clerks, etc. from our area would go down there and learn a few things.  Nothing makes me more upset than bad customer service. 


3.)  While attending some local establishments and enjoying some amazing Miller Lite, I couldn't help but notice the people in that part of the city that were simply following their dreams.  All the musicians we saw playing in those tiny bars are trying to make it in the music industry, and the ones we saw, were working for tips.  I have to respect that.  Someone taking a chance, leaving a life they know, and following their dreams, WITH NO GUARANTEES of anything!  And on top of that, they were really good!  I think we should all take a page out of their books.  Don't be afraid to try something, especially the stuff that scares you.  Life is short...don't leave with any regrets.

4.)  The mall.  The people watching was amazing!  From crazy cowboy boots/hats/shirts, to the crazy hair, there was no shortage of entertainment.  I still came away with a couple things...a) Wear a belt.  No one wants to see your underwear, or what's underneath it!  b) People can hear you when you're yelling to someone on the phone.  No one cares about what you got your kid's father for his birthday, or what he said to you last night!  On a positive mall note...a) People know how to WALK in a mall in Nashville!  They didn't stop in front of you to look in a window...they MOVED OUT OF THE WAY!!!  b) Mall cops on Segways are funnier in person than in the movie "Mall Cop."

5.)  Gas was weird down there...$3.11 at one station, next door it was $3.12, and a block away it was $3.44.  I wish stations up here would get a bit competitive...could be fun for us consumers!  With that said, $4.37 in Chicago.  I still stand by my assessment (and many others!)--if gas prices were controlled and brought down to an affordable level, our economy would get better!  But that's a discussion for another day... 




Until next week...

Return to 1st Word Home Page:  1st Word Home

No comments:

Post a Comment